We rely on donated items of many kinds to serve our clients. All material donations to SOME are tax-deductible. SOME does not sell any of the donated items we receive—donated items are distributed free of charge to individuals in need. (For distribution hours and locations, click here).
Drop-Off Location and Hours
Donated items may be dropped off at 71 O Street, NW, Washington, DC 20001 on weekdays from 8:00am to 4:00pm or on weekends from 7:00am to 2:00pm. We will offer you a donation receipt for your tax records when you drop off your items.
SOME keeps our Amazon Wish List up to date with our most needed items. Items purchased from our Wish List will be shipped directly to SOME. To receive a donation receipt for your tax records, please email [email protected] and include your Amazon receipt.
SOME provides over 70,000 pounds of groceries each year to thousands of hungry people. We support healthy eating at SOME and you can help by donating food items and/or organizing a food drive.
Food Wish List:
- Peanut butter
- Low-sodium soup
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Canned fruit, in its own juice or water
- Canned vegetables, no added sodium
- Meals in a can, such as chili, beef stew, spaghetti
- Brown rice
- Whole wheat pastas and pasta sauce
- Low sugar cereal and oatmeal
- Healthy snacks
- Oils and vinegars
- Canned chicken, salmon, and tuna
SOME cannot accept any opened food products or items with expired dates. Please coordinate with our Donations Manager at 202.797.8806 x2104 or [email protected] if you are dropping off perishable items.
Organizing a food drive can be simple and fun and is an effective way to help SOME combat hunger in our community. Consider organizing a food drive in your neighborhood or at your school, place of worship, or workplace.
Every item collected does make a difference! Download our food drive flyer to get started!
If you are having a large food drive that may require pick-up service, please contact our Donations Manager at 202.797.8806 x2104 or [email protected]. Our truck is extremely busy, so we are only able to offer pick-up service for very large food drive collections.
SOME organizes special food drives around the Thanksgiving and winter holidays. Information on these holiday drives will be made available in October.
SOME distributes new and gently-used donations of clothing, free of charge, for men, women, and children. Clothing should be appropriate for the season in which they are dropped off and should be laundered and free of tears and/or stains. It is a great help to us if men’s, women’s, and children’s items are bagged separately.
Our greatest need is for men’s clothing and (new) underwear for men and women.
We are in urgent need of the following items:
- New underwear for men and women, especially larger sizes
- New or gently worn socks for men and women
- New or gently worn bras
- Casual shoes
- Plus-sized items for men and women
- Men’s jeans and casual pants
- Men’s shirts
- Maternity clothes
- Infant clothes
We are in need of the following items:
- Adult diapers
- Baby wipes
- Diapers and pullups for babies and toddlers
- Pads and tampons
- Shaving cream
SOME welcomes assembled toiletry kits in gallon size Ziploc bags. In order to remain fair and consistent, each bag should contain:
- 1 bar of soap
- 1 small or travel size bottle of shampoo
- 1 small or travel size lotion
- 1 stick of deodorant
- 1 tube of toothpaste
- 1 toothbrush
- 2 razors
- 5 maxi pads or tampons (for women)
Information about our Holiday Shoebox Gift drive can be found here.
SOME accepts new and gently-used basic household items. These donated items are given to individuals and/or families who have recently moved from the streets or a shelter into a new apartment and help make them feel at home.
We gratefully accept the following items:
- Dinnerware (plates, bowls, etc.)
- Pots and pans
- Kitchen utensils
- Blankets/quilts in all sizes
- Sheet sets and pillow cases in all sizes
- Towels and washcloths
- New cleaning supplies (dish and laundry detergent, etc.)
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- Garbage bags
- Reusable grocery bags
- Reusable water bottles
We are also seeking Welcome Baskets with supplies for those just moving into our housing programs. Welcome Baskets contain a set of twin or full sheets, a large towel, a hand towel, one pot, and one pan. The supplies can be donated as individual items or as a complete set in a reusable bag, basket, or bin.
We CANNOT accept the following items:
- Furniture (please consider A Wider Circle for these donations)
- Major exercise equipment
- Air conditioner units
- Ceiling fans
- Computers/computer accessories
- Highly-specialized kitchen equipment (bread machines, ice cream makers, etc.)
- Single glasses, cups, plates, etc.
- Used Tupperware
- Recycled food containers
- Opened cleaning products
- Home accessories and knick knacks
- Books and magazines
- Word puzzles
- Used toys
- Air purifiers
Further questions regarding materials donations can be directed to our Donations Manager at 202.797.8806 x2104 or [email protected].